With tomorrow the 19th anniversary of Rabin’s assassination, and yesterday (more happily) the 97th anniversary of the Balfour Declaration (“His Majesty’s government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people…”), Israel is on our minds these days. So here, for your pleasure, are 5 excellent stories either set in, or about, Israel:
1) The Beauty Queen of Jerusalem – An Israel girl struggles with her relationship to her mother, but finds solace in her interesting grandmother.
2) Fields of Exile – A graduate student who is a passionate left-wing Zionist is surprised by the anti-Israelism at her university.
3) The Lost Solos – Municipal politics in Tel Aviv combine with a rich American donor, Russian immigrants, and unresolved longings.
4) Three Visitors to Mitzpe Yoav – An Israeli family that lost a son in a war begins healing thanks to three surprising visits.
5) Oscar – A young Israeli woman in and out of psychiatric hospitals survives thanks to a loyal best friend.
Enjoy these wonderful stories! With warm regards from all of us at
Jewish Fiction .net